4

Review | Here Be Sexist Vampires by Suzanne Wright

Friday, September 26, 2014


“How could you be attracted to someone who made you so pissed off that you’d considered burning their balls with a lighter?”

Sam Parker is a vampire with a gift so strong and substantial that she is invited to partake in a test for a place in the Grand High Master Vampire’s private army. She finds that not only has the army never included a woman, but it has never included a Sventé vampire; a breed that is regarded by the super strong Pagori breed and the hypnotically beautiful Keja breed to be too tame and human-like. Most refuse to take her seriously, especially a Pagori commander named Jared who she craves in spite of herself.

The Grand High Master, however, sees her potential and offers her the position of Jared’s co-commander to help train the newest squad in time for the impending attack on his home. Sam has to demonstrate to Jared and the squad of chauvinists why it is incredibly foolish to underestimate a wilful, temperamental, borderline-homicidal Sventé female.

See Here Be Sexist Vampires (Deep In Your Veins #1) by Suzanne Wright in:


This book was an unexpected discovery. When I first came across it, I was lured by its title. It was really catchy. After reading a few reviews in Goodreads, I decided to give it a try. And I was totally blown away. I was literally unable to put down my e-reader not until I finished reading this.

Although I must say that the vampires in this book lacked the melancholic atmosphere that archetypical vampires had (they usually gain that after living for centuries or something), I still loved them. They were very lively…very human. Not that it was bad since most of them were still young vampires but it was refreshing to read vampires who were not angsty and stuff.

Sam was a really headstrong and stubborn, also homicidal heroine and she didn’t allow chauvinistic guys to underestimate her. Even if she had to prove it to them that she should be taken seriously even with her gender. Despite being able to kick ass, she was not annoying at all (which was good since that kind of heroines were rare.). She also had a very amusing sense of humor.

“You ever killed someone, sweetness?” His tone made it clear that he was expecting the answer ‘no’.
“Yes,” I answered honestly and with no guilt. They’d all had it coming – especially the bastards who kidnapped the little kids to sell as vessels, or even as consorts to those who were sick in the head. I hadn’t liked Victor making me an assassin, but one thing I could say for him was that he never gave me a mark that was innocent.
Dawson quickly rephrased, “You ever killed them purposely?”
“Yes.”
“How did that make you feel to kill in cold blood?” He clearly wasn’t happy about my answers so far.
“With all that adrenalin pumping away, I felt great.”
They were a few muffled giggles. Some were from Jared, Evan, and Sebastian, I noticed.
“Ever led a squad before?” he asked, grimacing.
“Yes.”
“Are you saying you—”
I growled. “God, give me strength,” I begged as I looked upwards. “I’m bored with Question Time now, Dickson.”
“It’s Dawson.”
“I know.”

There’s also Jared. Similar to Sam, he’s tenacious, stubborn and extremely overprotective. Still, I wanted strangle him after he offered that proposition to Sam, knowing what her situation was before. But through time, it became clear that only he could match Sam’s intensity. More like only he could make Sam listen.

“How could you think I look down on you?” I demanded, but I kissed her again before she could speak. “Whether you believe it or not, I admire you, I respect you and I care about you.” I held back the L word. Maybe there would come a time to tell her, but it wasn’t now. I sensed the shock she was feeling quickly give way to scepticism. Cutting off whatever she was about to say, I cupped her and zapped her clit. “It’s true. And I can’t stand the idea of anything happening to you.”

There was no angst or drama in this story (much to my happiness) but you’ll end up toppling over your chair because of Jared and Sam’s banter. The clash of their personalities was entertaining. And oh, did I mention that they were also very hot together? They were combusting when they were trying to fight the mutual attraction that they had. And when they finally had sex? I was breathless the entire time. So sexy, so graphic, so dirty. You’d end up panting yourself.

I still had a little concern. The story was narrated using Sam’s and Jared’s POVs. And like my previous reviews about novels using dual POVs, this novel failed to make really distinct differences between Sam and Jared’s thoughts. The usages of typical British slang words for Sam was not enough for me. Also, I’ve noticed some of Jared’s words lapsing into British when he was supposed to be American. This was what got this book a four.

I’m really finicky about dual POVs and I find that as something most authors overlook. I do hope they stumble upon my words and hear me out or something. It’s not always enough to see the way the story flows with your character’s eyes. I want to read a book that uses dual POV where I only need to read the first few thoughts of the character and realize who’s talking without looking at name at the start of every chapter.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Yeah, finding this title was like discovering a hidden treasure. I just wished that it was more popular though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like something I would really like. Thanks for the review I haven't heard of this one before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! You should read it. It's still not that popular though but it's really funny. :)

    ReplyDelete