4

Review | The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Monday, December 22, 2014


“I have looked high.” Her voice was an urgent whisper. “And I have fallen farther than you can imagine. So don’t you lecture me. All I want is to pretend that this is enough—that I can be satisfied by the scraps that remain to me. ”


Sometimes love is an accident.

This time, it’s a strategy.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

Over view from Goodreads

See Duchess War (Brothers Sinister #1) by Courtney Milan in:


This is my first Courtney Milan book and I’ve been planning to read it for months then it became a freebie in Amazon.

I liked the story because I found the plot and characters refreshing.

Minnie wasn’t your generic historical romance heroine. She wasn’t gorgeous, she wore spectacles, and she always hid herself in a crowd. She was also a very headstrong, wise and an expert tactician. The way her mind worked never failed to amuse me. However, whenever her past shackled her, I always felt sorry for her.
Look up? Her father hadn’t just told her to look up. He’d taught her to fly. And then, when she’d reached the top of the world, he’d ripped her from the sky.
With Robert, I didn’t feel a very strong connection with him. He was very straight-forward, not that smart compared to Minnie but very compassionate when it came to people who showed him kindness. And apparently, arousal also had the ability to scramble his mind.
“Arousal makes me stupid. It makes me say idiotic things like ‘I like your tits’ and, ‘Help, we’ve had a paste emergency over here.’ It makes me want to stay around you even though I know I’m overmatched, even though I’m sure you’re going to win.”
There was almost a time when I almost DNF-ed this book because of the characters but it recovered as I continued to read. I think it was Courtney Milan’s writing that helped me manage to get through. Her style was mesmerizing enough for me to carry on reading despite my reluctance to finish it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments