3

Review | The Stranger I Married by Sylvia Day

Tuesday, December 09, 2014


"It shouldn't be this damned difficult to seduce his own wife."


After her husband met his death dueling over a paramour, Lady Isabel Pelham learned a lesson she never forgot. Since then, she was notoriously known as a mistress who never developed any attachment to anyone and she tended to dismiss her lover once he started to ask for hand in marriage. She was all about companionship, light and fun with no deep emotional attachment.

Which were precisely what Gerard Faulkner, Marquess of Grayson, was looking for. Well, he wasn't precisely looking for a well-reputed wife who would be considered suitable for him. Or somebody to share his bed with. He had two mistresses who were more than enough to satisfy him. But for him, she was going to be perfect to exasperate his infuriating mother and to stop the mothers of marriageable damsels from bothering him.

So they got married but they each sought their pleasures from separate beds. It was part of the bargain. Grayson will be spared from the matchmaking mamas at the same time vex his mom and Isabel's lovers would cease asking her to tie the knot with them.

But after the death of Grayson's sweetheart and son, he disappeared. And nothing was heard from him for four years.

Now he was back, and the young and reckless Grayson that Isabel had known disappeared. In his place was a man with raw intensity that she was sure that she couldn't tame.


See The Stranger I Married by Sylvia Day in:



The sexual attraction between them was undeniable the second time around and Gray wanted her more than a mistress, he wanted her as his wife. And he was determined to seduce her and claim his husband rights from her.

Suffice to say, I was annoyed half the time I was reading this. They danced around each other and it was driving me insane. It felt really dragged because all they had to do was talk and they allowed shit to fester that much.

There were also characters that were so half-cooked I didn't know what to say. Like that Barbara person. She had this part where she was really acting like a villain determined to stomp all over Gray and Isabela's marriage, and I really thought she'd have a bigger role, but all it took was a few threats from Pel and she went away cowering.

Also, the last time I checked, pulling out didn't work unless sperms or egg cells were less fertile back then. I was surprised that Pel didn't get pregnant with all that fornicating that they did. I always thought it was one of the perks of being a heroine in a historical novel, you know. No morning breath, rare periods, etc.

Then I felt that Pel's feelings about what Earl Pelham did to her were not expressed properly. I mean, it was the main reason why they danced around for sooo long. She kept on saying, "Just like Pelham," about Gray's sexcapades. I kinda wanted them to have a sit down, let Pel express her qualms then Gray would comfort her then they would live happily ever after. But no they skipped that and it was Gray assuring right away that he would not be like Pelham. I didn't have any problems with that but perhaps I just wanted more from that confrontation since Isabel's doubts had been the main reason why they danced for

And lastly, I was left hanging. I never expected that I'd encounter the so called "hanging happy ending' again. I felt really discontented.

You Might Also Like

0 comments