4

Review | Attraction by Penny Reid

Tuesday, April 21, 2015



One week.
Private beach.
Invisible girl.
Jerk-faced bully.
What’s the worst that could happen?
Kaitlyn Parker has no problem being the invisible girl, which is why she finds herself hiding in various cabinets and closets all over her college campus. Despite her best efforts, she can’t escape the notice of Martin Sandeke—bad boy, jerkface bully, and the universe’s hottest, wealthiest, and most unobtainable bachelor—who also happens to be Kaitlyn’s chemistry lab partner.
Kaitlyn might be the only girl who isn’t interested in exploiting his stunning rower’s build, chiseled features, and family's billionaire fortune. Kaitlyn wants Martin for his brain, specifically to tabulate findings of trace elements in surface water.
When Kaitlyn saves Martin from a nefarious plot, Martin uses the opportunity to push Kaitlyn out of her comfort zone: spring break, one week, house parties, bathing suits, and suntan lotion. Can she overcome her aversion to being noticed? Will he be able grow beyond his self-centered nature? Or, despite their obvious chemistry, will Martin be the one to drive Kaitlyn into the science cabinet of obscurity for good?

Overview from Goodreads

See Attraction (Elements of Chemistry #1) in:


I don't know how she does this, but Penny Reid always manages to give her readers something new and fresh with each book that she makes. Not only that, her characters are totally well-developed and concrete.

I always devour her novels in one sitting because they manage to grip me so hard that I'm always reluctant to put it down unless I'm finished reading. Attraction is no exception and yes, I only read it in an hour. 

Seriously, this woman. I have yet to rate a book of hers less than four stars. After reading Attraction, she just became one of my favorite authors. 

Attraction introduces another intelligent and hilarious yet adorably awkward heroine along with another swoon-worthy hero. 

“You promised.”

“Under duress.”

“I wasn’t holding a gun to your head.”

“No, just holding yourself to my body. That’s quite enough to put me in a state of duress.”

“My body places you in a state of duress?” Something wicked sparked behind his eyes.

“Of course. Of course it does. What a ridiculous question. Your body causes distress, disquiet, desolation, and puts me in a state of duress.”

He grinned, sitting up in the bed like he planned to stand up. “Maybe I’ll use it now.”

I loved their chemistry together (pun intended). How Martin gradually opened himself up with Kaitlyn and how he really tried to make win her. He tried to rein his control when he learned that Kaitlyn wasn't what he expected her to be. Though it was kind of unfair because Kaitlyn gets mindless whenever Martin was involved, giving Martin the advantage to make her agree on what he wanted. It was cute. 

Though it felt a little too good to be true. You know, the nerdy girl who was always invisible suddenly gets noticed by the unattainable guy she had a crush on because of unusual circumstances. I was just waiting for the big bomb to be dropped. (I'm not going to spoooooil.) The build-up was there. 

Also, there were views from the heroine that I admired. 
“...Be the marriage girl. Don’t be the hook-up girl. Don’t be her. She’s stupid and shallow. Yes, she gets lots of male attention, dressing in her sexy lumberjack or sexy nun costumes…for a time. But then she’s used up, hardened, disillusioned and desperate, because no one stays with the hook-up girl.”

I blinked at him, pulled my hand from his elbow, and backed up a step. “You’re disgusting and that’s completely misogynistic. What if the hook-up girl is using you just as much as you’re using her? What if she’s just having fun? This is the problem with society. When a guy sleeps around, he’s sewing oats. When a girl does it, she’s a hook-up girl.”
I just regret that I didn't have the patience to wait until all three parts were released. Now I have to face the agony of waiting for the next part to come out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments