4

Review | Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

“My problem is that I miss the obvious; your problem is that you pay too much attention to it.”

There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn't know how to knit.

After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job in the same day, Janie Morris can't help wondering what new torment fate has in store. To her utter mortification, Quinn Sullivan- aka Sir McHotpants- witnesses it all then keeps turning up like a pair of shoes you lust after but can't afford. The last thing she expects is for Quinn- the focus of her slightly, albeit harmless, stalkerish tendencies- to make her an offer she can't refuse.

See Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City #1) by Penny Reid in:


When I first read the title Neanderthal Seeks Human, I expected that the hero is so territorial and overbearing that he’s almost caveman-like. But no, it’s the heroine who’s actually the Neanderthal here.

One of the things that really amaze me when it comes to Penny Reid’s characters is their depth. I’ve read the fourth book in this series, Beauty and the Mustache, and I also loved the charas in that book. Her characters are really well-constructed that I actually wondered how much research she did for all the random facts Janie knew (since it really seemed natural for Janie to throw those facts anytime.)

I had so much fun reading this book because Janie was such a very refreshing character. No whining, no angst, she was so cute. If that’s even an appropriate word to describe a very tall woman. Despite her ability to narrate sex as if it was a report, I love her sense of humor and how she was with Quinn, or Sir McHotpants.
I decided, as I succumbed to sleep, that men should come with manuals, subtitles, and reset buttons.

It was as if a unicorn had appeared beneath a double rainbow and started tap dancing. Despite my best efforts to maintain a neutral expression, I could feel my mouth curve into a mutinous grin.
If you’re expecting that the heroine is very possessive or very dumb, think again. On the contrary, Janie Morris is a very intelligent woman. She holds a dual degree in mathematics and architecture and is also a walking encyclopedia with all the facts that she knows about even the most random things.

Well, let’s not forget about Quinn Sullivan. The guy is clearly smitten with Janie.
Everything about her was unexpected and unique. She was my bright light of eccentricity in a very predictable and ordinary world. She made everything new and interesting or funny.

Watching them dance around should’ve annoyed me, but it didn’t. I found it adorable. And let’s not forget the jokes Quinn sends for Janie (she passionately hates cellphones, btw.)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don’t.
“Friendship is like peeing your pants; everyone can see it but only you can feel it.”

If I were a function, you would be my asymptote. I always tend toward you.
Cheesy, right?

I also loved Quinn Herr Handsomestein Sullivan (seriously, he has a lot of nicknames) and Janie’s chemistry and the unpredictability of their love story. I admit though that their story starts off slow, being in Janie’s mind never bored me even for a second while reading this book.

And seeing that they’ll really end up marrying, I’m looking forward on the next book, Neanderthal Marries Human. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments